I’m all about a quick, healthy, and easy one-pan meal. I’m definitely not the girl who loves to spend all night in the kitchen – as much as I love to cook, I like to be in and out of there in 30 minutes so I can relax and enjoy the rest of my night. Something I always talk about with my nutrition clients or on my blog is that healthy eating (and healthy living for that matter) doesn’t have to be so difficult. Sometimes it can feel daunting to start “eating healthy” but it can be as simple as throwing a bunch of ingredients into a single pan, adding some flavors and seasonings, and putting it all into a bowl and calling it dinner! And because no one will get super excited about eating fish and veggies every single night, we’ve gotta make healthy eating fun, too!
My favorite way to do that is by “upgrading” the meals that I crave by making them with healthy ingredients. For example, if you’re craving a cheesy pasta, it’s super easy to satisfy that craving with something like this Bolognese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash. All of the tastiness without the carb overload and blood sugar spike. Same thing with Mexican food… rather than telling yourself that a type of food is off-limits because you’re trying to “be healthy”, find a way to incorporate your favorite meals in an upgraded way, like this Enchilada Casserole made with cauliflower rice. This “upgrading” method is exactly what was going on when this Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe came to life. I was craving Chinese food, but it was after a friend’s wedding weekend where I was already feeling the effects of a little too much indulging, so I experimented with making a healthier, lighter, vegetable-packed version of egg rolls. The result was so delicious and satisfying that I couldn’t wait to share it here!
Not only is this recipe super hearty and tasty, it’s also beyond quick to whip up, thanks to Taylor Farms veggies which are already chopped and shredded and ready to go. The base of this recipe couldn’t be healthier – it’s a half bag of Taylor Farms Organic Broccoli Slaw, which is a mix of shredded broccoli and carrots, plus a bag of coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage (Taylor Farms Tri-Color Coleslaw has the perfect mix of colors to brighten up this recipe!). Aside from that, you’ll just add your protein of choice – organic ground chicken, turkey, beef, or pork will all work well, and then you’ll pump up the flavor with some healthy herbs and spices and coconut aminos, my favorite swap for soy sauce! It comes together in a matter of minutes, and it’s delicious served as is, or over a base of coconut cauliflower rice that you can easily make with two ingredients, Taylor Farms Cauliflower Pearls and coconut milk, or you can scoop it into iceberg or butter lettuce for lettuce wraps! Ready for your new favorite weeknight dinner? Let’s get into the recipe!
Egg Roll in a Bowl(serves 4)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 pound organic ground chicken, turkey, beef, or pork (you choose!)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced (if you don’t have fresh ginger, you can also try it with ground ginger – flavors are slightly different but it will work!)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 cup Taylor Farms Broccoli Slaw
- 1 12-oz bag tri-color coleslaw
- Garnish: chopped scallions & sesame seeds
Optional: iceberg or butter lettuce to create lettuce wraps or a side of Coconut Cauliflower Rice (recipe below)… or just serve as is!
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground meat of your choice and cook, breaking up the meat as you sauté until it’s just barely pink and almost cooked through.
- Add sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, garlic, ginger, broccoli slaw and coleslaw mix. Mix well to combine and continue to stir and cook until cabbage is wilted and meat is fully cooked through, about 5-7 more minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
- Enjoy as is, or optional, serve with iceberg or butter lettuce for lettuce wraps or over warm coconut cauliflower rice.
Coconut Cauliflower Rice
If desired, make this side while waiting for the egg roll in a bowl veggies to get tender.
- 4 cups Taylor Farms Cauliflower Pearls
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- In a large skillet or pot, warm 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high. Add the cauliflower rice.
- Season cauliflower rice with salt and sauté for about 5 minutes. Then pour in the coconut milk and stir it into the cauliflower rice. Let it come to a boil and continue to cook until the coconut milk reduces and the “rice” thickens a bit, about 5 more minutes. Taste and add salt if needed. Serve with Egg Roll in a Bowl!
- September 2, 2020Five Flavorful Recipes for the Three-Day-Weekend!
- September 1, 2020Just Add Protein: Easy Recipes To Elevate Your Favorite Salad Kits
- August 24, 20203 Fun and Easy Back To School Recipes
- July 16, 2020The Flavor of Fresh with a Summer full of Salads
- July 2, 2020Summer of Salads
- July 2, 2020Five Flavorful Dishes for The Fourth of July